We Need to Talk About My Slightly Ridiculous Obsession With Chickpeas
I don’t care who you are, where you live, or what you eat; we should all be able to agree on one thing: Chickpeas rule.
No, seriously. If you haven’t discovered how stupidly amazing chickpeas are, I’m going to enlighten you right now because I am a chickpea fangirl of the highest order.
Here are all the ways chickpeas rock the house and kick the a** of every other bean:
1. Chickpeas are the main ingredient in hummus and let’s be real, hummus is LIFE.
2. Falafel. Yes, this magical (and widely available) food is also made from chickpeas.
3. If you’re looking to make a badass vegan sandwich, chickpeas are where it’s at.
4. Roasted chickpeas are also great! Pro tip: Add them to your salad instead of croutons for some extra protein.
5. Aquafaba. OK, I was not a believer at first (and I was also a little grossed out). But trust me, this stuff is incredible for vegan meringues, marshmallow topping, and other sweets!
6. This vegan chickpea shawarma recipe.
7. And chana masala for days!
I could go on, but you get my point.
So go to your local market and grab a can, or for an even more affordable option, buy them dried. They’re available everywhere and so easy to prepare. I’m going to get back to eating my hummus.